UMC Cooperative Ministry Meeting
March 11, 2017 (@ Simpson-Cascade)
Attendance: Jim and Donna Parkinson (First); Jim Reim (First); Margaret Harrison (Henderson); Mary Stewart (Henderson); Harold Blair (Kingsley); Nels Sandberg (Kingsley); Linda Albertson (Kingsley) Matt Judd (Glenwood); Shirley Deemer (Glenwood), Bruce Davis (Asbury); Randy Dehn (Asbury); Don and Ann Marie Hullenbaugh (Simpson-Cascade);
Meeting opened with prayer at 9:00am
• The next round of the homeless overflow shelter is March 15-28. Contact Gail Detar (email@example.com ) to get your church participating
• Summer campership update – the dinner at Asbury raised $3460.25 and the soup sale raised $1635 (464 quarts of soup). These funds are to be used to provide assistance in sending children from Erie to summer camp. Asbury will hold the funds and Bruce will manage the distribution of funds. Each pastor will make the determination of need for any child in their church/ministry sphere of influence. The fund is designed to kick into effect after the primary contribution of the family and local church for each child. Wesley Woods should also be contacted about available scholarships from them. The goal is to spend all the funds available so we will revisit the status of this fund at the end of the summer. Kingsley will be hosting Nate Greenway (Wesley Woods Executive Director) at their Palm Sunday men’s breakfast on April 9.
• Ash Wednesday worship at Simpson-Cascade was well-received
• Celebrate Recovery at Simpson-Cascade is going well. The church is working on renaming itself this spring. A Monday night “step-study” is offered weekly for men from 12Noon-1pm at the church.
• Kingsley is always in need of more volunteers to assist at its daily “Kid’s Café” program. Talk to Harold if you are interested.
• Easter egg hunts will be held Saturday, April 8 at Glenwood (9am) and Asbury (10am and 12 Noon)
• RISEN movie showing – will be held at Glenwood on Palm Sunday, April 9 at 2pm. The churches will help split the licensing fee. Publicity will come from Glenwood to the churches.
• The combined Holy Thursday worship will be 7pm on April 13 at Kingsley. There will be a joint choir.
• The combined Good Friday worship will be 7pm on April 14 at Lakewood.
• There will be an ecumenical service and cantata at St. Paul’s Lutheran (on Sterratania) on April 15 – no other information was available right now
• The Connellsville flood recovery trip will be April 23-26. Contact Donna Parkinson for information.
• Seawolves Night June 3– Randy presented information about a night for the Erie churches. Even though the District is doing an event like this on July 2, we agreed this was valuable for us to offer for our community. It will be Saturday, June 3 (first pitch at 7:05). Churches should provide a contact person to Randy and he will individualize publicity for each church.
• Matt will get more details on a proposed basketball summer camp with CSI for youth in the city.
• Jim Reim will get more information about a possible concert with Cross Country Revival later this year
• Pastors will work on setting a date for another pulpit exchange in October
• ServErie will work at Central Tech from July 20-23, as part of the consolidation plan for ESD. They are seeking volunteer and financial assistance
• Jim Ream updated the group on Unified Erie and the West Bayfront Partnership. We will continue to look for opportunities to get connected in these efforts as the faith community’s voice has often been missing from these discussions.
• Bishop Cynthia Moore-Koikoi will be present on May 16 to meet with the Erie pastors for discussion and brainstorming about the state of urban ministry and her experiences in Baltimore that might translate to Erie
Next meeting is Saturday, May 13, 2017 (9-11am at Asbury)
Respectfully submitted - Matt Judd
|814-453-6041||Henderson United Methodist Church © 2013 - 2017|